There were a couple of great posts by my colleagues on the DisplaySearch blog this week. Ross Young writes about the challenges of accommodating a state-of-the-art 1080p LCD television in the space allocated for an older 4 X 3 television in a cabinet that is decidedly more difficult to upgrade. Meanwhile, Paul Erickson discusses the impact of the Paramount repeat about-face with respect to the high-definition disc wars, a topic about which there have been some crazy conspiracy theories. I agree with him that this will serve to prolong the war and will have more to say on that shortly.
Speaking of DisplaySearch and the high-definition format war, its HDTV Conference will be the place to hear about the latest from many of the principal companies and alliances involved. Check out this panel lineup for the next-gen DVD hardware outlook panel on October 11th (the conference’s second day) in LA:
- Moderator: Paul Erickson, Director of DVD and HD Market Research, DisplaySearch
- Chris Walker, Sr. Manager Product Planning and Marketing Blu-ray and Optical Disc Products, Pioneer
- Jodi Sally, Vice President of Marketing, Digital A/V Group, Toshiba
- Kevin Collins, Director of HD DVD Evangelism, Consumer Media Technology Group, Microsoft Corp.
- Chris Fawcett, Vice President Home Video, Sony Electronics Inc.
- Tim Alessi, Director, Product Development and Advertising, LGE
I’ll also be speaking on a panel later that day on digital home connectivity.